Hartwood Acres, originally the private country estate of John and Mary Flinn Lawrence, is now considered the crown jewel of the Allegheny County park system. The 629-acre park near Pittsburgh includes a stately Tudor Mansion (1929), a stable complex, beautiful riding trails, a gate lodge, an outdoor stage and amphitheatre for summer concerts and theater, and acres of public gardens.
Location / Directions:
Admission & Fees:
The grounds at Hartwood Acres are free and open to the public. For mansion tours, admission is $6.00 for adults; $4.00 for junior (13-17) and senior citizen (60+); $2.00 for youth (6-12); and $1.00 for children (0-5). Stable tours are $3.00 and are offered on a limited basis. Candlelight tours (evenings November - January) are $6.00. Groups of 40 or more receive a 15% discount (except for holiday tours).
What to Expect:
Guided tours of the Hartwood Mansion, formal garden, and stables are offered daily except on holidays. Reservations are recommended. Over 30 miles of horse and bike trails meander throughout the 639-acre county park, offering abundant opportunities for walking, horseback riding, biking, hiking, and cross country skiing. Hartwood also has an outdoor amphitheater on the western side of the property, site of many concerts and performances. There are, however, no picnic groves or other recreational or sports facilities in Hartwood Acres outside of the trail system.
The stately Tudor, Elizabethan mansion at Hartwood Acres epitomizes the grandeur and fashion of the early twentieth century. Inside, 31 rooms portray the elegant lifestyle of the Lawrences who originally called it home, including an excellent collection of original English and American antiques from 19th century English chairs to 17th century Flemish tapestry.
Events at Hartwood Acres:
Hartwood Acres plays host to a variety of cultural and charity events, such as concerts, theater performances, equestrian events, and charity benefits. Highlights include:
- The annual Hartwood Celebration of Lights, a winter holiday light display which attracts thousands each year.
- Free concerts under the stars as part of the Allegheny County Summer Concert Series.
- Special holiday tours, including candlelight evening tours, of the decorated Hartwood Mansion are held from mid November through the first week of January.
- The annual Family House Polo Match, one of the largest charity polo events in the country.
- With an advanced reservation, hayrides are available except on holidays, and during the month of March.
- High Tea and other unique programs are offered throughout the year.
>> Upcoming Events at Hartwood <<
Weddings and Parties:
Hartwood Acres is available for weddings and private parties, either in the mansion's great hall, or an outdoor tent rental in the garden.
For More Information: