Founded in 1878 as a simple picnic ground along the Ligonier Valley Railroad, Idlewild & SoakZone is the oldest amusement park in Pennsylvania and third oldest in the United States. Named by "Amusement Today" as the second best kid's park in the world, Idlewild features seven theme areas of fun, including the Soak Zone Waterpark, Story Book Forest and Mister Rogers' Neighborhood of Make-Believe.
Idlewild & Soak Zone is open May 27-28*; May 29-31; June 4*, June 5-6, June 10 - August 22; August 23-29* and Sept. 4-6, 2010. Park gates and Story Book Forest open at Idlewild open at 10:30 a.m.; most other attractions and areas open at 11:30 a.m. Closing times may vary based on crowd and weather conditions, but generally Story Book Forest closes at 5:00 p.m. and SoakZone at 7:00 p.m. (guarantees to remain open until at least 6:00 p.m., weather permitting). Other attractions and rides are open until at least 8:00 p.m. or 9:00 p.m.
* Limited Operation - some rides & attractions; food and games will be closed.
ADMISSION & TICKETS:
Idlewild's FunDay Pass is $29.99 for guests ages 3 to 54 and $21.99 for guests ages 55 and older. Children two and under are free. Season passes, which include discounts on selected park games and food, can be purchased at Idlewild, online, or at area Giant Eagle locations for $64.99, or buy four or more for $59.99 each. The Idlewild season pass includes unlimited visits to Idlewild throughout the season (including HALLOWBOO! 2010), along with special Bring-a-Buddy days, and discounted Kennywood night rider admission (after 5:00 p.m.).
LOCATION / DIRECTIONS:
Located about 50 miles east of Pittsburgh, Idlewild Amusement Park is located on Route 30 in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. From Pittsburgh, take I376 (Parkway East) to the PA Turnpike to the Irwin Exit (#67). Then east on Route 30 to Ligonier.
RIDES & GAMES:
Popular with families because it rolls amusement park and waterpark into one, Idlewild is broken into several different themed areas.
- Olde Idlewild holds most of the traditional amusement rides, including two roller coasters and an antique merry-go-round.
- Story Book Forest brings favorite story book characters to life in a shady walk-through format.
- Based on the popular children's show, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood of Make-Believe features a trolley ride through the famous neighborhood.
- Soak Zone features 14 wet, wild water slides and a fun water activity area with tipping cones, hydro soakers, and a large Tipping Bucket that dumps out hundreds of gallons of water. There's a swimming pool, plus a water activity for the little ones too. Captain Kidd's Adventure Galley, features six water slides, crawl tunnels, net climbs, bridges, a giant tipping bucket and plenty of water spray features.
Hootin' Holler emulates a turn-of-the-century mining town, complete with the Loyalhanna Limited Railroad, the Paul Bunyan's Loggin' Toboggan water ride, and the Mine Shaft Kitchen with a variety of food choices.
- Geared toward children, Jumpin' Jungle is a giant shady play area full of ropes, ladders, nets, slides and a ball pit. Nearby Raccoon Lagoon is filled with rides and children's shows designed for children.
There are a lot of daily shows to enjoy at Idlewild, including music, theater and puppet shows. There's even a nightly Bandstand Blast show with favorite classic rock an Motown songs from the 50's and 60's. Shows generally run from 1:00pm to 9:00pm at various stages throughout Idlewild Park.
BEST TIMES TO VISIT:
Like most area amusement parks, mid-week days are the least busy times to visit Idlewild & Soak Zone. Overcast and rainy days are also less crowded, but be aware that Idlewild does not offer rain checks or refunds. There is a lot to do in the park, however, and our family has managed to have plenty of fun at Idlewild even when it's raining.
Save money on admission. Idlewild & Soak Zone offers special BOGO Days June 14-18 and June 21-15, 2010 (present a coupon from Sheetz, Rite Aid or King's Family Restaurant for Buy One Regular FunDay Pass, get one free admission) as well as FunDay admission discounts during Mister Rogers' Neighborhood Days July 5-9, 2010 (pick up your $6.00 discount coupons at participating Eat N' Park locations). During Christmas in July (July 12-16, 2010) and WPXI Old-Fashioned Days (July 19-23, 2010), bring any canned item and receive $6.00 of the regular $29.99 admission. In August (August 23-27, 2010 only), Giant Eagle sponsors a Family Carload Sale, which admits up to 8 people in the same car for just $84.99 (with an additional $4 off with a Giant Eagle Advantage Card). Coupons are available at participating Giant Eagle locations.
Bring along a specially marked can of Pepsi, Diet Pepsi or Mountain Dew to the park, and you'll receive a $5 discount at the Idlewild gate off one FunDay pass any weekday during the 2010 Season.
Twice the Fun. Idlewild & Soak Zone offers a next-day pass for just $15.99. Check with Guest Services for details.