The Pro Football Hall of Fame is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year and to mark the milestone, the Hall of Fame is unveiling a major exhibition focusing on the history of pro football, from its humble beginnings in 1892 to its rise as America's most popular sport. Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame will make its national premiere at the Pittsburgh Senator John Heinz History Center this Saturday, Oct. 6, 2012. The exhibit will remain at the History Center until Jan. 6, 2013 before embarking on a nationwide traveling tour.
The Gridiron Glory exhibit brings together more than 200 football artifacts, rare photos, and one-of-a-kind documents from the Pro Football Hall of Fame collections, including highlights such as:
- The 1892 Allegheny Athletic Association accounting ledger featuring Pudge Heffelfinger, known as "Pro Football's Birth Certificate"
- Artifacts from pro football's pioneers, such as Jim Thorpe, Knute Rockne, Red Grange, Johnny "Blood" McNally, Sammy Baugh, and Bobby Layne
- Items from the golden era of pro football, including Jim Brown, Vince Lombardi, Dick Butkus, Johnny Unitas, and Tom Landry
- Highlights from the NFL's greatest running backs, such as O.J. Simpson, Eric Dickerson, Tony Dorsett, Walter Payton, Bo Jackson, and Barry Sanders
- Artifacts from record-breaking quarterbacks, including John Elway, Joe Montana, and Dan Marino
- Items from today's stars, including Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning
- The History Center will add a special section to the exhibition that features unique artifacts from the Pittsburgh Steelers, including Franco Harris' Hall of Fame jacket.
The History Center has also organized a number of special events in conjunction with the Gridiron Glory exhibit, including:
- Thursday, Oct. 4: Black Tie Tailgate Preview Party
- Saturday, Oct. 6: Gridiron Glory Kickoff and Pep Rally
- Oct. 24-29: Steelers' Hall of Fame Busts
- Nov. 11: NFL Play 60 Training Camp
- Nov. 17: Pittsburgh Steelers 80th Season Celebration
- Nov. 23-29: Steelers' Six Super Bowl Trophies
- Dec. 22: An Immaculate Reception: The 40th Anniversary of the NFL's Greatest Play
To buy tickets or for further information, visit Gridiron Glory on the History Center website.